Friday, September 4, 2009

Meatballs, Green Beans and Mushroom with Spaghetti

Have you ever had one of those nights where cooking was more of a chore than a joy. Well Last night started that way for me. My husband was working late (again), the kids were well GRUMPY and the grocery fairy was a no show (again).

I had a pound of ground beef thawed out, no plan and no real desire for anything. My first thought was to go with my dad’s old stand by recipe, gruel. Gruel is ground beef mixed with cream of mushroom soup served over mashed potatoes or rice. Gruel was a favorite of mine as a kid and my kids like it but it seems so heavy and it’s 100 degrees here in Texas. So here is what we ended up having.


Ingredients:

  • 1lb Ground beef
  • Basil Pesto
  • Salt/pepper
  • Garlic
  • ½ a Red Onion, chopped
  • Fresh Green Beans
  • Fresh Baby Bellas, sliced
  • Edam Cheese for topping
  • 1 lb Whole wheat spaghetti

Directions:

  • Boil salted for the pasta. Add Pasta when the water boils.
  • Mix the beef and pesto in a bowl and roll into mini meatball. I ended up with about 20 meatballs.
  • Brown the meatballs in a splash of olive oil.
  • Add the onion, green beans and mushrooms then simmer over low heat, cover until the pasta is al dente.
  • Drain the pasta and mix with the meatball veggie mixture.
  • Grate the cheese on top and serve.

My 6-year-old had three helpings and I had very little clean up. A 20-minute meal and one happy family.

16 comments:

Sara said...

Last night, I couldn't bear to make dinner so we ordered pizza...

Palidor said...

Yes, some days I don't want to be in the kitchen. You did a great job of pulling together a tasty dish.

Jennifer said...

That looks pretty dang good! I loved gruel as a kid although we called it something different but I forget what!

Jennifer said...

So funny as we had a bad day of grumpys and decided to have bella mushrooms, green beans, whole wheat spagetti but ground bison instead. Same wvae length

Velva said...

Now, that was an interesting combination of ingredients!

Velva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Velva said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Amy Nicole said...

Well, I'd have to say you outdid yourself for starting with ground beef and not knowing what else to do with it! It looks so pretty, and sounds deelish. I love the photo of the grumpy little one. She still manages to look cute, even when grumpy!

♥peachkins♥ said...

This recipe looks delicious and is that your daughter? She is cute even when she's grumpy..

Velva said...

I just wanted to respond to your question about starting a cooking club. We started the club about 8-9 years ago. Over the years, the club has evolved and people have come and gone. It is a great way to discover new food, make new friends and have a great time. If you want any tips on starting one please let me know.

Claudia said...

That is so delicious and creative for someone who did not feel like cooking (Oh yes, I have those days!). Cheers to you!

BMK said...

This looks like a perfect summer meal!

Chats the Comfy Cook said...

You found the way to success with this meal. When you can cut the effort and have a happy family, you are a winner.

Shelly said...

Your kids are so darn cute! Hey, you did a great job of putting together a delicious looking meal! I have some pesto I need to use, so I'll have to give this a try.

petite nyonya said...

Lovely pasta meal! Btw, is that your daughter? She's gorgeous! She has the guilt look on her face like as if she's disobeyed you and gone to play under the rain :D

Lori Lynn said...

Oh this looks really good, for all ages!
LL