Monday, April 6, 2009

Gorgonzola and Toasted Walnuts on Gemelli



This is a nice pasta dish that easily transitions from the heavy winter dishes to the lighter spring/summer dishes. It’s light yet with the walnuts and Gorgonzola you feel as if you are having a special treat. This dish is quick to make and can be changed by using a different type of cheese. Try it with the Gorgonzola first, the blue cheese is nice with the walnuts.

Ingredients: Adapted from “the essential Pasta cookbook”
¾ C Walnut Halves
1 LB Pasta
2½ oz Butter
5oz Gorgonzola Cheese
2 TBSP Cream
1 C shelled Fresh or frozen peas.

Directions:
Lightly toast walnuts in a 350ºF oven for 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
Cook Pasta in Salted boiling water until al dente.
While pasta is cooking, melt butter in a small pan over low heat and add the Gorgonzola, cream and peas. Stir gently for 5 minutes until sauce thickens.
Add salt and pepper to taste, add in the walnut and gently stir to coat nuts.
Combine with pasta and serve immediately.

Note: If you use frozen peas, as I did, toss them in frozen.

13 comments:

Sara said...

Love gorgonzola with walnuts, it's one of my favorite flavor combinations. I usually put them on salad, can't wait to try them on pasta!

Anonymous said...

Doesn't that look delicious!

Shelly said...

I'm a big fan of gorgonzola! This looks great!

Maria said...

Great meal idea!

Dewi said...

How can I say no this delicious pasta you've made?
Cheers,
elra

Jennifer said...

Wow two of my favorite things! Love it!

Selba said...

It definitely looks like a nice and yummy pasta :)

Suzie said...

What a sensational combination. I can't wait to try this out on the husband - re is a fiend for blue cheese.

HappyTummy said...

mmmm, this is right up my alley. i looove walnuts and peas--what a great combo! delicious :)

grace said...

pasta with peas isn't an obvious combination, but it's a darn good one. crunchy walnuts too? great dish!

Sara said...

Gorgonzola and walnuts over pasta!? I am in!

Lori Lynn said...

Sounds great. Frozen peas are so handy and still taste really good. I'll definitely try this.
LL

Maris said...

I like pasta with peas. This sounds delicious!