Monday, February 2, 2009

Pasta with Sausage and Spinach


My kids love this dish, spinach and all!

4 or 5 links of Italian sausage (sweet or hot)
1 package of frozen spinach
Milk
Flour
1 lb Penne Pasta

Remove the sausage from it’s casing and sauté.
Once the sausage is cooked, add the frozen spinach.
Turn your salted water on to boil while the spinach is cooking.
When the spinach sausage mix is well cooked and starting to bubble add milk and flour.
You must mix the flour in the cold milk until dissolved before adding it to your hot spinach mix. I mixed approximately 2 tablespoons of flour to my 2 cups of cold 2% milk. I stir it with a fork for a few seconds and then add it to the spinach mix.
Simmer with a lid on until your pasta is al dente. Remove from the heat and pour onto the pasta.
Note: the sausage has enough flavors that you don’t need to add more spice. Don’t even add salt. I know you want to but just try it first.

3 comments:

Sara said...

This looks delicious, sounds like a great meal for a busy weeknight!

Culinary Wannabe said...

I love meals with only a few ingredients and that are simple enough that if you make them once you won't have to look at the recipe again. Perfect for how lazy I am feeling today after last night's game!

RecipeGirl said...

This looks terrific- I'm sure my little one wouldn't be swayed by the spinach either!

btw- It's funny that you had mentioned about high calorie cereals bc I just read an article on that very subject! The Kashi cereals are great and high in fiber & whole grain too... I eat the Kashi Puff cereal at 120 cals a cup for breakfast and then use the Kashi crunch cereal as a sprinkle for my yogurt.