Monday, February 9, 2009

Chicken Roll-Ups



I had friends coming over for dinner and wanted to make something impressive and tasty and yet not too much work. I happened to have had some turkey ham and fresh mozzarella in the fridge and wanted to incorporate those into the meal. I decided to try something new. Because of the ham I kept reverting back to thoughts of chicken cordon bleu so I went with it but with a few modifications.

Recipe:
Chicken (boneless, skinless breast)
Turkey Ham
Fresh Mozzarella
Fresh Spinach
Basil
Seasonings of choice

Preheat oven to 350º F

Pound chicken flat for rolling.
Cut turkey ham into about 1” strips the length of chicken
Slice mozzarella cheese

On top of flattened chicken breast place ham, cheese, and spinach. Sprinkle with fresh basil and other desired seasonings. I’m partial to Tony Chachere’s Spice N’ Herbs and smoked paprika. Roll into tube-like shape and use toothpicks to hold in place.

Sear chicken roll-ups in olive oil then place on baking sheet. Bake for about 20-25 minutes.

I served these with roasted sweet potatoes and brussel sprouts.

To roast the vegetables I placed chunked sweet potatoes in a large bowl and tossed with olive oil and honey then placed on baking sheet. These bake from 45 minutes to an hour depending on the size.

I used frozen brussel sprouts, which I partially thawed in the microwave. Then put them in a large bowl and tossed with olive oil, salt and pepper. I left these in the oven for close to 30 minutes.

One of my friends brought over strawberries so I sliced them, sprinkled on a little sugar and added a little fresh rosemary and let them sit until after the meal. I made some fresh whipped cream and we had dessert.

Here’s to another successful meal.

No comments: