Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Oven Meal


I cracked the seal, again, on a circa 1974 cookbook that I found in my kitchen.
This cookbook had me in stitches. It is full of add lard here, cream this, butter that. I mean heart attack material. The best part is that my Mom made lots of the recipes in this cookbook and still makes one frequently. None of us have had any major health issues so we survived the cookbook. Now it’s time to pass on the recipes and fun to you guys and my own family. I promise I’ll cut back on the lard and modify where necessary.

Oven Meal
Adapted from Southern Living’s Casseroles Cookbook
Copyright 1974
Cost $1.95

2 C Diced raw Potatoes
2 C Chopped Celery
2 C Ground Beef (1-1/2lbs)
1 C Chopped green peppers
1 tsp Salt
1 tsp Pepper
2 Cups Canned Tomatoes
1 C Sliced Onion

Place potatoes, celery, beef and green peppers by layers in a 3-quart casserole dish. Sprinkle salt and pepper over each layer. Pour tomatoes over top, then add a layer of sliced onion.
Cover casserole and bake at 375°F for 1-1/2 hours
Yield: 6 servings

Now What I did:
5 Potatoes
6 or 7 Celery stalks
2 lbs Raw Ground Beef
Yellow bell Pepper
8 Green Onions
2 Cans of Chopped Stewed Tomatoes
1 Sliced Onion
Salt and Pepper
Smoked Paprika

Layered onion, green onions, pepper, celery and RAW ground beef.
Added salt, pepper and Paprika.

Topped with canned tomatoes and onion slices.

Covered and baked for 1-1/2 hours or until I knew the beef was good and cooked.
My husband thought it tasted like an Old Fashion Beef Stew and my 6-year-old said it would be a good recipe for the blog.
So Blogging world here you go….I give you Oven Meal!

Oh and a pre-view of another fun recipe.

4 comments:

jessica said...

I like anything that you don't have to cook the meat first for, yea! I'll have to try this. By the way, I made your eggplant parm recipe (I think that's what it was called) and I really liked it! I changed it from eggplant to spinach, but besides that I followed your recipe and thought it was very tasty!!
J

Sara said...

That sounds really good, I love one dish meals!

Culinary Wannabe said...

Can't wait to see what the "Husbands Delight Casserole" is. :)

Ciao Chow Linda said...

Thanks for stopping in to look at my blog. I clicked on your name and just found your blog. It seems like you're newer at this than I am! I'll be checking back regularly now. Good luck with the blog. And yes, the work done by stay-at-home moms is soooo underrated.