Thursday, February 11, 2010

Coconut Cupcakes


It’s Barefoot Bloggers time. Barefoot Bloggers are a community of bloggers that get together twice monthly to make, eat and post about Ina Garten’s recipes. Today’s recipe was chosen by Jamie of Jamie’s Green Kitchen. Jamie chose Coconut Cupcakes, which can be found in The Barefoot Contessa Cookbook or on the food network site.
I make coconut cake often; in fact I’ll be making a bunny shaped coconut cake here in few weeks for Easter. Anyway, I make them often but never do I add the coconut into the batter so I was excited to give her recipe a try. I followed her recipe with the exception of the cream cheese icing, which I didn’t use due to the refrigeration requirements and the fact that I will be giving away most of the cupcakes. I was not overly impressed with these cupcakes. I found them to be a bit dry. They had a “commercial” taste to them. I don’t really know how to describe them except that I think many of the box cake mixes are better than this recipe. SO, there you have it, my review. Sorry it’s not more favorable.

Ina Garten’s recipe

Ingredients

nocoupons

  • 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 5 extra-large eggs at room temperature
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure almond extract
  • 3 cups flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 14 ounces sweetened, shredded coconut

For the frosting:

nocoupons

  • 1 pound cream cheese at room temperature
  • 3/4 pound (3 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure almond extract
  • 1 1/2 pounds confectioners' sugar, sifted

Directions

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.

In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar on high speed until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes. With the mixer on low speed, add the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition. Add the vanilla and almond extracts and mix well.

In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In 3 parts, alternately add the dry ingredients and the buttermilk to the batter, beginning and ending with the dry. Mix until just combined. Fold in 7 ounces of coconut.

Line a muffin pan with paper liners. Fill each liner to the top with batter. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes, until the tops are brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 15 minutes. Remove to a baking rack and cool completely.

Meanwhile, make the frosting. In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, on low speed, cream together the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla and almond extracts. Add the confectioners' sugar and mix until smooth.

Frost the cupcakes and sprinkle with the remaining coconut.

12 comments:

Amy Nicole said...

I'm not really a fan of coconut. There is something about the texture I don't like. At least they're pretty!

Catherine said...

I love anything and everything coconut...I have this recipe saved and will be making it either tomorrow or over the weekend...but no matter what- I will be making these cupcakes!
The photo is so lovely too!
Cheers!

George Gaston said...

These are delicious cupcake. Back in November, I made them for a friends birthday party ~ along with double chocolate ~ and there were no leftovers. The guest looked them.

Thanks and I hope lots stop by and tries them. They will be glad they did!

Suzie said...

I haven't made this yet (tsk, tsk), and now I am wondering whether I should bother?

Juliana said...

Cassie, this coconut cupcake look so yummie with vanilla and almond extract in it...like the way you decorated...so cute :-)

ann low said...

WOW! This is so sweet looking*.*

Velva said...

Those cupcakes look delightful!!! I love coconut and this treats would be perfect to enjoy anytime and Valentine's Day too.

Coleens Recipes said...

Oh how pretty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Claudia said...

The prettiest cupcake for Valentine's Day! Brava!

Leslie said...

These are adorable! I'm so sorry you didn't care for them!

karen said...

Aaawww, it's too bad these didn't work out for you. You're probably lucky, since I have eaten about six of them since making them!

Judy said...

After looking at the list of ingredients, I am wondering why yours turned out dry. Too much flour? Overbaked? Ina's pretty dependable. Try them again, you may have better luck next time.